Net Benefits  

Go Back   Net Benefits > Main Forums > On Case
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-11, 10:59 PM

Eligibility?

Hey all,
I've talked to a few of you about this and have received mixed responses so I figured I'd just ask net-bens as a whole. I'm planning on being a grad student starting enrollment next spring. Does this kill my eligibility for next year?

If it helps, I'll be a hybrid next year, doing undergrad/grad econ work in the spring (and only undergrad courses in the fall). The following year I'll be doing exclusively graduate econ work but also finishing up my phil BA. Would that make me eligible for that year (assuming I'm eligible next year).

Sorry if this is vague, but I've got an advising meeting on Tuesday that might help to clear up things if there's any questions. As a reference, this year was my first one (went to one tournament, not NPDA, the year prior).

Thanks
Old 04-10-11, 11:16 PM
Not a *********

From NPDA Bylaw VI:

B. Midyear graduates may compete in the NPDA National Championship in
the spring after graduation at the discretion of the member school. The
NPDA will not accept points accrued by midyear graduates at regular
season tournaments after their graduation.

While you probably can't debate at regular season tournaments after graduating in the fall (or they wouldn't be sanctioned), you can still debate at Nationals.

"You lied to them and took their money. Do you know what that makes you?"

"The winner!"
Old 04-11-11, 01:29 AM

Normally, I am an opponent of extending eligibility.

However, in the distinct case of Mr. Nicholas A. Corn, I believe that we should welcorn any and all necessary corncession to make sure his participation corntinues. Mr. Corn brings a cornucopic breath of arguments to the cornmunity, including Ecornomic collapse good, ending ag subsidies (as you might guess, he has quite a cornnection to this topic), providing aid to the greater Corn of Africa and his patented Disaster Corn K. His corntributions cannot be overstated. As someone who would uniquely benefit from watching uncornventional arguments like those that Montana has sometimes presented, I support inclusion!
Old 04-11-11, 12:26 PM

Damn it Nigel now I'm struggling to not break into laughter in my Nietzsche seminar. I'm hoping the prof mistakes my shaking squint and half-smirk for a keen interest in Nietzsche's 'epigrams and entr'actes'.

To Nick M.: The problem is that while I'll be accepted into grad school and taking graduate classes I won't technically have graduated since I have to finish my senior thesis in the spring.
Old 04-11-11, 12:37 PM

hmm. my knee jerk reaction is that since you have not graduated from your undergraduate institution, it should not make any difference what classes you are taking (whether they will be accepted as graduate credits at your institution is between you and your institution). The fundamental question is: How does your college list you? If you have not graduated then they list you as an undergrad. Regardless of which classes you are taking.

Its the act of graduating, not the process of class taking.

Last edited by Whitworthdb8 : 04-11-11 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 02:14 PM

Cool, thanks. I'll get this cleared up tomorrow.
Old 04-11-11, 10:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to ultravires
fwiw, tons of people graduate mid-year and compete at both season tournaments and nationals in the spring (i did it, for one). the only difference is that sweepstakes points you earn will not count, but tournaments with midyear graduates in the field will still be sanctioned and you will still earn NPTE points.

you will be fine for next spring, no questions. the following year you may also be fine depending on how your university classifies you (for instance, at Cal, you would still be an undergrad if you did not finish your thesis, at least in those departments that require one).
Old 04-14-11, 06:22 PM

I might be wrong but I believe you can get the relevant authorities to rule on your situation before you actually start graduate school. That way, you're safe.
Old 05-10-11, 02:12 PM

Thanks for clearing up our corncerns!
Old 05-14-11, 12:26 AM

In my family we use the saying: Its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. From experience I can say this will not work for debate eligibility, or the University of Oregon registrar.