01/25/03 - 01/26/03 - Long Beach Warmup
San Bernardino is unable to host their traditional parliamentary debate tournament during January. As a result, Long Beach will host a winter parliamentary debate only tournament Saturday and Sunday, January 25th and 26th as a local warm-up for Pt. Loma.
1. Eight rounds of competition in three divisions of debate. We will do everything possible to protect novice division, but we reserve the right to collapse divisions.
2. To keep entry fees low, we will forgo trophies. We will use your entry fee money to provide Breakfast, Lunch, and munchies throughout the tournament. We will charge a flat rate of $30 per person to enter the tournament to cover these costs. Hired judges will cost $100 per team.
3. We are going to experiment by adding a 3-minute cross-examination period after each constructive speech. We will forgo the traditional use of points of information and leave all questioning for the cross-examination period.
4. All topics will be drawn from one of two topic areas. We will write resolutions that deal with either the War on Terrorism or Education Policy in the US.
5. Local lodging has been arranged at the Guest House. They are offering a rate of $65 plus tax for rooms with 1-4 people. Call 562-597-1341 for reservations. They are located at 5325 E. Pacific Coast Hwy.
6. Entries are due on Tuesday, January 21st. Please email them to Matt Taylor at email@example.com.
7. W anticipate running the tournament out of LA5 (our traditional tournament location), but we will update you once we receive our room confirmation from academic scheduling.
8. A tentative schedule is listed below.
Let me know if you have any questions and I will be updating you with more information as we get it.
Round 1 9:00-10:30
Round 2 10:45-12:15
Round 3 12:45-2:15
Round 4 2:30-3:45
Round 5 4:30-6:00
Round 6 6:15-7:45
Round 7 9:00-10:30
Round 8 10:45-12:15
Elim #1 1:00-2:30
Elim #2 2:45-4:15
Elim #3 4:30-6:00